A skateboarding multi tool can save you in a pinch. You never know when your wheels or trucks will loosen in the middle of a skate session. Having a multi tool handy will save you a trip back home. It is also worth mentioning that you should be doing maintenance on your board at least every 2 months. With a tool like this, you can take your board apart in under 5 minutes.
Most of the multi tools have the same must have features, but some offer a little variety. There are five tools you’ll need. The list of tools you need to take apart a skateboard and put one back together are as follows:
- 3/8″ Socket
- 1/2″ Socket
- 9/16″ Socket
- Allen key
- Phillips screw bit
Here are some of the best skateboard tools available right now that offer all five tools you need.
- Contains a slide socket for the screw bit that will hold it securely in place.
- Comes in any color that you desire.
- One of the smallest tools, so it can be carried in your pocket.
- Also one of the lowest priced skate tools on the market. For the level of quality that you get from this tool, it is worth every penny.
- It is advertised as being completely made of metal, but is in fact made of a very durable plastic, the actual tool parts that you are using are made of metal, though.
- Comes in a variety of designs that are actually pretty cool looking.
- Because of the very durable materials, it will easily last at least a year before it starts to see the wear that all tools see after enough use.
- There are claims that this is made specially for longboards, but it does have the same attachments for regular skateboards.
- Comes with all the tools you would need to take a skateboard apart entirely.
- Has all the same fixings as the previous tools, but takes place in front of them because of the guarantees that they offer. With tools, that’s a huge plus.
- “Blank Skateboard Company” sports a pretty strong guarantee that you will be happy with their products. They offer a nice money back guarantee.
- They also throw in a sticker to put on your board!
- The most commonly used socket has a ratchet to make turning the tool easier. This is something that most tools don’t offer, and it makes a huge difference in the long run.
- The previous tools have a slot for the allen key and phillips screw that slides in comfortably. Some customers report that it can get loose and fall out. This company decided to add a magnet to help keep it in place.
- They also added a precision file that you can use to smooth the edges of your grip tape.
- Hailed as the best skate tool available today.
- Has all 3 socket sizes as well as the allen key and phillips screw bit.
- Ratchet for easier turning when unscrewing nuts from your board.
- Precision file for smoothing edges on your grip tape.
- One thing that no other tool offers: self aligning threader for your trucks. This can save you when your truck axles need to be fixed. A pretty common issue if your wheels won’t come off.
The Low Down
Most skateboard tightener tools are pretty small and should be easy to carry around. As an added bonus, most of them come with free shipping when ordered online. Skateboards usually only need about 3 different sizes for sockets. You will want to make sure about the size of the nuts for the trucks on your board before you buy the tool that stands out to you the most. The best skate tool will have the right attachments to fix any board.