Landyachtz Switch 40″ Longboard Review
The Landyachtz’s most infamous drop deck longboard, and one of their earliest boards from the line-up, the Switch, is back with a sleek new design and graphics and revamped concave that you’ll love. With vibrant graphics and sturdy design, the Landyachtz Switch is one of the best longboards for beginners and novice riders alike that money can buy. The Switch is just perfect for any type of riding, be it freeride, downhill, or even just cruising around – the Switch will keep you going fast and shredding hard. The Switch allows for easy pushing, stability, and a locked in ride no matter what type of riding you are into. The high W-concave creates a perfect pocket for dialing in your toe-side pre-drifts before you shoot into that tight corner.
The 40-inch longboard is precisely made of 9 layers of Canadian maple with layers of fiberglass sandwiched in between giving it a neat finish. The combination of different layers of maple makes the deck of the Switch feel sturdy and gives no flex as you stand on it. The deck’s drop down platform locks in your feet for a secure stance, while a stiff, thick maple construction promises a responsive feel when tearing down hills. The board undoubtedly excels at freeriding with a symmetrical shape that allows you to easily switch riding directions. The lower standing platform also makes pushing effortless for long distance commuting or quick detours to the dime store.
Features & Specifications
- Length: 40 inch
- Width: 9.65 inch
- Wheelbase: 32 inch
- Weight: 9 pounds
- Construction: 9-Ply Maple
- Rocker/Camber: None
- Mounting Style: Top Mount
- Ride Style: Downhill/Freeride
- Deck Profile: Drop Down
- Deck Shape: Symmetrical
- Deck Features: Cutouts, Deep Concave, W-Concave
- Grip Type: Black Grip
- Truck Options: Bear 852 Trucks
- Wheel Options: Hawgs 70mm Mini Monsters Wheels
- Bearing Options: Space Balls ABEC 7 Bearings
- Special Features: 8″ / 4.572cm Drop Deck standing platform
- The Landyachtz Switch 40 is made out of 9 plys of Hard Maple grown in the coldest climates of North America, making it extremely rigid and viable for longboard building. The incredibly strong and extra durable wood gives you a killer board for going fast and shredding hard.
- Pressed with the addition of a high W-concave, the Switch will lock your feet more securely and comfortably than before. This adds grip to the board, and with more ridges in the concave, your shoe gains a more aggressive contact with the grip tape, keeping you locked in.
- The deck features a hearty 1.8″ of drop in the platform, allowing you to be much closer to the pavement without drop through mounting. This brings you closer to the ground as well as gives you pockets to lock your feet in.
- Sitting lower to the ground allows for easier pushing and creates a lower center of gravity that will keep you feeling comfortable at ridiculous speeds.
- The bends at the front and back of the standing platform create a natural foot hold that you can dig your shoes into for a feeling quite similar to being strapped into some snowboard bindings.
- Landyachtz designed this deck to specifically excel at freeriding with a symmetrical shape that allows you to easily switch riding directions, while the lower standing platform also makes pushing effortless for long distance commuting.
- The carving of the board is also great. The high angle of the longboard trucks gives the wheels enough clearance to easily make sharper turns making this board perfect for commuters.
- The board has a high-quality appearance and super smooth feel rolling along the pavement. The aggressive W form creates pockets which lock-in the feet for extra stability and unparalleled control.
- The ride of the Switch is legendary and inspires the rider to push their boundaries. The board itself is symmetrical which means its shape encourages the same ride in either direction.
- The large fox emblem on the deck holds up pretty well under repeated scratching and rubbing. The deck itself is a luscious red which is pretty awesome and quite distinctive.
- The grip tape is tough, high-quality, and super grippy. The shiny, red 70mm wheels are a nice touch.
- Great for taller riders and will ride more stable at higher speeds but not geared towards smaller riders or riders looking for a more nimble board.
- The wheels are not that great for sliding because it is harder to kick out the board and initiate the loss of traction to start sliding.
The Bottom Line
Whether you don’t have a vehicle or just prefer to feel the wind on your face, the Switch is an amazing long distance pushing board that will save you half the energy you would have spent otherwise. If you’re looking to polish your technical skills or simply need a dependable ride for getting around town, you’d definitely want to switch to “SWITCH”.
Related: Best Landyachtz Longboards