Best Longboard Trucks – Longboard Trucks Guide
Longboard trucks play a big role in the overall way the board rides. The feel of the board is drastically changed depending on the type of truck that is used. For this reason, selecting the best longboard trucks for your riding style is essential in building the perfect longboard set up.
A lot of people will spend a good portion of their time trying to get the right deck for the longboard. While this important, the trucks are just as important. Trucks vary in their length, angle, and the way that the bushings are seated. All of these factors will determine how the trucks feel under your feet.
High-quality trucks are going to allow the rider to easily control the direction of their board and their speed. They will allow a skateboarder to easily weave through pedestrians on the city sidewalk, jump off of the curve, and carve downhill before coming to a quick stop at an intersection.
For beginners, knowing that they can slow their board down when they start to go too fast is a confidence builder. This confidence which comes from having good trucks will allow the rider to progress quickly. The purpose of this longboard trucks guide is to give riders a general overview of how longboard trucks work, and then provide some recommendations on brands that are popular.
Our Top 3 Picks
Key Components of a Longboard Trucks
• Baseplate: This is the flat part of the truck that connects to the skate deck. It is mounted to the deck through four or six mounting holes. The baseplate is designed to provide even pressure and a secure hold for the truck.
• Kingpin: The kingpin is the most important part of the truck. It is a large bolt that holds the entire truck together. Most kingpins are replaceable. If they break, you do not need to buy a new truck.
• Bushings: Bushings are designed to affect the way the board reacts to the rider. These rubber bushings provide cushion between different moving parts as they twist and turn during the ride. Boards have two bushings per truck. So there are four in total. Bushings come in varying hardness. The harder the bushing, the more resistance the board will give to rider input.
• Hanger: The hanger is a T-shaped aluminum alloy area on the trucks. This is where the wheels are going to attach to the truck. This part of the truck will have direct contact with rails and curbs during grinds. It is essential that the hanger is made of a durable material.
• Risers: This optional part of the truck can be added to raise the board higher off the ground and to increase shock resistance. Risers come in various thicknesses and are secured between the baseplate and the deck.
Longboard Trucks Reviews
Randall R-11 Longboard Trucks
Enjoying its place as the industry standard in trucks, Randall has consistently produced a high quality product that riders have enjoyed for more than four decades. Their sturdy construction allows them to support larger riders, but are flexible enough to respond to the movements of riders who weight less.
These trucks are designed to perform better than their competition. Individuals looking for a truck that is going to maintain stability during high speeds and provide a decent turn radius should give these trucks a look.
Paris Raw Trucks
Anyone who has read a Paris truck review realizes that these trucks are simply quality at its best. Built with a six hole, 356.2 aluminum gravity molded baseplate and hanger, hardened with a secondary sheet treatment to increase strength and durability, these trucks will easily outperform many of the other trucks that are on the market today.
They corner neatly, and can be used for high-speed downhill longboarding just as easily as they can be used for cruising through the neighborhood. With a 4.7 out of five rating on Amazon, it is easy to see that these trucks are a fan favorite. These are simply some of the best Paris longboard trucks available.
Paris V2 Raw Longboard Trucks
These Paris v2 trucks are another example of this company’s superb quality products and attention to detail. Blessed with a solid construction that is also lightweight, these trucks help take a lot of the work out of longboarding. Their sturdy design makes them able to handle anything that is thrown at them.
Their 180 millimeter hanger is the perfect size for almost any deck and can be integrated into a wide variety of riding styles. Equipped with a 356.2 version aluminum gravity molded baseplate, secondary heat treatment for increased durability and added strength and Special Divine Urethane bushings that provide the best in rebound and vibration dampening, this truck is perfect for almost any rider.
Gullwing Stalker 50 Degree Trucks
These trucks take fun and performance to a new level. Equipped with the 50 degree offset kingpin that increases its stability and makes it more responsive to turns, the Gullwing Stalker 50 Degree trucks create an incredibly smooth and quiet ride. Gullwing Stalker Trucks have a patent vibration damping system that puts them in a level all of their own.
These trucks are fantastic for downhill. They are amazing for speed, and they can tackle any turn at any speed. Their durable design guarantees that the rider will be able to enjoy them for a long time without having to worry about them breaking down or needing to be replaced.
Gullwing Sidewinder II Truck
Blessed with a sleek design and a customized baseplate, this truck allows a skateboarder to emulate the carving styles used by a surfer or a snowboarder. The patented design of Gullwing Sidewinder trucks has been turning heads ever since its introduction.
What makes these trucks stand out is the fact that they have two pivot points. This means that these trucks will turn twice as fast and twice as sharp as a traditional truck. This means that the rider can create additional speed simply by using their own momentum.
Speak to anyone who has used them and they will tell you just how much fun it is to ride a board with these trucks. In order to avoid wheel bite, these trucks must be installed on a deck that has the proper clearance.
When it comes to trucks, there are a lot of varieties and a lot of options available. Research is necessary in order to identify the truck that is right for your style. However, when you find the truck that works for you, you are going to see your performance on the board increase, and you will enjoy your riding experience even more.