The Best Longboards for Girls tested and compared
Longboards are very similar to skateboards, but they’re different when it comes to durability, speed, and the method of driving. They are boards with wheels that are used for driving, either casually or professionally. There are several types of longboards – some are reserved for professionals due to their size, shape, and speed capabilities.
Our Top 3 Picks
Riding a longboard can be a very fun activity – they’re not too fast, if you’re properly protected they’re very safe to ride, and, most importantly, there are competitions in which you can participate if your skill level is high enough.
However, since we’re mainly interested in the Girls Longboards, we should focus on the safety and the easy way of riding. The another factor that we should consider is the Riding Style – hardcore girls may be into downhill racing, while tender ladies would be interested in Regular Cruising or Freeride.
The riding styles
Since there are different types of longboard designs, there are various styles of riding them. This is determined by your preferences, but the shape of the longboard has a serious impact as well. The riding styles are:
Cruising or Carving style
This is perfect for everyone who is new to longboard riding and for girls, mainly because it involves the lowest risk of injury and it’s the easiest way to ride your board. The best shapes and longboard types for this style of riding are Symmetrical Boards since you will be riding on flat terrain.
This way your movements will not be limited to a single direction, and, in the situation that you encounter an obstruction in the road, you can simply stop and avoid it (which is not the case with other styles as they involve high speeds – you won’t be able to just stop so easy).
Why is this style ideal for girls?
Well, there’s the least amount of risk of you getting hurt. This style involves riding on flat surfaces and if we compare it to other styles, the speeds at which you are going to ride are, by far, the lowest. This is also the reason why this style is preferred by new people.
Downhill Longboard Racing
This style is not recommended for beginners, let alone girls. However, if you are a girl and you feel hardcore, you can try it out, but make sure you are wearing protective gear. When you are downhill racing, you are recommended to use a directional longboard as you will be riding downhill (only).
Downhill racing involves very high speeds, so it’s definitely not something you should simply try to see what it’s like. It contains the greatest risk of injury and a fair amount of skill is required, so feel free to try other styles before you get accustomed to your board.
Another factor which determines if you could actually accomplish riding downhill is, obviously, a hill. People who live in urban areas might find it very difficult to find a surface that is narrow and not overrun with traffic.
Freeride Longboard Racing
Freeride style sounds a lot like Freestyle Longboard Racing, but it’s quite different. This is the last longboard riding style which you will want to avoid if you don’t have the experience because it involves decently high speeds (not as great as downhill racing, though), it requires a lot of skill, and special protective gear (armored gloves for sliding).
Being reserved for professional longboard riders also means that it’s not well suited for girls, but you could try it out after a while. You don’t need to search for cliffs and hills, as this style can be practiced on the curb, and you are set to go the moment you learn a couple of tricks (sliding in particular).
This is, perhaps, the best longboard riding style for girls, as it brings about your creativity. This way you can learn to slide, perform board tricks, and ride with greater confidence. There are no rules to follow in this style, and everyone who rides in their own terms (meaning that it does not belong to any other style) is considered a freestyle rider.
The reason why it’s perfect for girls is because it involves absolutely no risk. You set your own pace, and you will learn the ropes step by step if you are patient. The only thing that can be said about this style is that you won’t be able to use the directional longboard (because it’s reserved for Downhill racing and Freeride).
The types of longboards – What type is best for girls?
The history of longboards is long and rich, and manufacturers worldwide have made various models which are different in the terms of the shape of the body and deck. The main reason why it’s important to know the difference between the types of longboards is because there are some models that are ideal for girls.
The Board Shapes
The first category of longboard types determines the shape of the board. Depending on which direction it should go, the longboard can either be Directional or Twin (also known as the Symmetrical Longboard type). This category contains other types within it while defining the direction in which you are supposed to go when you are riding your longboard.
The directional Longboard
These boards only go forward which means that they’re ideal for Downhill Racing. They’re fast and reliable, but they lack versatility – these longboards are meant for a certain type of longboard riding (downhill), and they’re not for beginners (or girls, for that matter).
Pros of Directional Longboards
- Extremely fast – these longboards are designed to negate the air friction (because of their sharp noses) which results in increased speed and velocity.
- Very durable – mainly because they are used for Downhill racing (which is quite dangerous) these longboards are designed in a way that they provide maximal durability;
- Superior stability – The supports of Directional longboards must pass the stability test;
- Original design – The first longboards that were ever created were these;
Cons of Directional Longboards
- Limited versatility – Directional Longboards can only go forward which makes them suitable for downhill racing and freeride styles;
- Ideal for professionals – most beginners would find it very hard to master these longboards;
- Potentially dangerous – Being very fast means that these longboards pose the highest threat of injury;
The Twin Longboards
Otherwise known as the Symmetrical Longboards, these boards can face both directions while feeling and looking the same. They’re perfect for every riding style (particularly for Cruising which makes them perfect for girls), and these boards are ideal if you want to learn some technical skills such as sliding or board jumps.
They are either longer or wider when compared to Directional longboards, which means that you will have a larger surface for your feet. However, these boards can’t reach high-speed levels, but they are a lot safer to ride.
Pros of Twin Longboards
- Very versatile – you can ride these boards in any way you want. Your movements are not limited (which is the case with Directional boards) and you can ride in any style you want – perfect for girls;
- Safe to ride – these boards are not as fast as Directional longboards, which means that even if you fall you won’t be injured;
- Quite spacious – the design of these longboards is either wider or longer than that of Directional boards which means that you will have more space for your feet when you ride;
- Very practical – an ideal way to learn technical longboard skills is to ride a Twin longboard (slides and board jumps are virtually impossible to achieve with directional boards);
Cons of Twin Longboards
- Require a lot of effort to ride – you will constantly need to push in order to move, while with directional boards you simply need to remain on the deck;
- Bumpier rides – most models come equipped with larger wheels so you will feel most of the bumps and cracks you encounter along the way;
The Deck Styles
As we previously defined the general types of board shapes and what they affect, the deck style determines the board’s stability and foot-brake potential. Another factor that is determined by the style of your deck is the amount of effort you need to invest when you push while riding on the flat ground.
Top Mount Longboard
This is the perfect longboard type for girls as it is the easiest to master and the most cost-effective. Mounting the deck just above the trucks means that the center of the gravity will be higher when compared to other longboard styles.
This, however, means that this board is a bit less stable and require more effort to push, but it’s perfect for sliding and steering. This longboard deck style is suitable for all riding styles, meaning that it’s the most versatile of all longboard categories.
Pros of Top Mount Deck
- Reduced turn leverage – Steering, turning, and sliding is extremely easy with this deck which is a great plus when it comes to the girl’s longboards.
- Ideal for beginners – these decks have the highest gravity point which results in decreased speed, meaning that they’re ideal for beginners, but even professionals use them.
- The most versatile Longboard deck category – There are no limits for this deck style – you can use it for any riding style you want;
- Very cost-effective – These decks cost the least when compared to other categories;
- Traditional design – Directional Top Mount Longboards were the first longboards ever;
Cons of Top Mount Deck
- Inferior stability – Having a higher gravity center point reduces the stability of this longboard deck style;
- The most tiring deck style – you will need a lot of effort and strength to push this longboard;
The Drop Through Longboard
These boards have their trucks mounted directly through the longboard. This lowers the height of the deck and had increased stability and reduced fatigue as the result. While these decks are, perhaps, not the most versatile types, they offer great advantages for both beginners and experienced riders.
The greatest advantage of this deck style is that they are more reliable. Being more stable means that you can rely on your board, but this also means that you will have a harder time steering and sliding. These boards are best used for commuting, Downhill racing, or Freeride style.
Pros of Drop Through Longboard
- Reduced fatigue while pushing – The gravity center point is reduced with this deck type which means that you will have to invest less effort to ride;
- A more stable design – These boards are more reliable and stable than other deck styles which make them perfect for downhill racing, freeride, and commuting (the latter being the favored activity by girls)
- Decently affordable – While they’re not the least expensive models, these longboard decks are quite affordable;
Cons of Drop Through Longboards
- Moderately versatile – These longboard decks do not limit you to a single riding style, but they can’t be used for each one either;
- Harder steering and sliding – when compared to the top mount deck, this deck type requires more effort and precision when steering is in question;
Drop Deck Longboards
These longboard decks have a unique design – they were molded during their construction in the manner where the entire area of the rider’s feet will be seated below the trucks of the longboard.
They usually have a reduced gravity center point, so they are similar to drop through decks in the terms of stability and pushing fatigue, while they also have a feature that resembles that of the Top Mount longboard decks – the truck mount. Any girl will find it very easy to master riding this board deck type as it has the benefits of both the drop through and the top mount decks.
Pros of Drop Deck Longboard
- A perfect combination – Moderate steering and sliding capabilities, optimal stability, and reduced fatigue when pushing;
- Top mount trucks – Increased maneuverability, but still not as good as the Top Mount decks;
- An interesting design – These decks are shaped in a very peculiar way;
Cons of Drop Deck Longboard
- Not unique – Drop decks borrow their features and capabilities from the other deck styles;
- Quite pricey – When compared to the previous deck styles, drop decks cost more;
What’s the difference between the Boys and Girls longboards?
It’s not a rule, but nobody actually categorized the longboards by the Girls models and Boys models. The difference is in the shape and the design as they define the durability, capabilities, and safety of riding the longboard.
If we’re to consider the types of longboards that are best suited for girls, those would definitely be the Twin longboards with either a Top Mount or Drop deck styles. They do not provide a lot of speed, but they’re very safe and stable to ride, so when you search for a girls Longboard model, take these things into consideration.
What to look out for when purchasing your girl’s longboard
First of all, your skill level is important as there are some longboard types that are reserved for experienced riders. Secondly, different models offer different things – decide which riding style you are going to go with and choose your longboard accordingly.
Lastly, remember the types of longboards and decks we’ve mentioned. Knowing what each category offers is important because you don’t want a longboard that won’t match the use you intended for it. Either way, you will decide best on your own.
Best Longboards for Girls Reviews
Pink Drop Down Complete Longboard
A beautiful girl’s Longboard by Maple Longboards, this models most notable characteristics are the pink design and the drop down deck. It’s moderately stable, equipped with Abec 7 bearings, while the grip tape makes sure that your feet are on the board at all times.
The entire longboard is pink which makes it ideal for girls, but the grip tape covers the top of the deck so it’s not clearly visible. Another reason why it’s ideal for girls is that it is very safe to ride it. You won’t have to fret about getting injured.
- The deck measurements are 8-inch (width) x 40-inch (length);
- Radius 180mm Trucks;
- 76mm Longboard wheels;
- Abec 7 Bearings;
- Plain pink Drop Down deck;
- Black grip tape;
Our Recommendation: Since this model has a Drop Down deck, it’s best if you use it for cruising and commuting. You won’t get too much speed, but it’s stable and reliable.
- Solid, durable construction;
- Quite stable and reliable;
- Professional parts;
- Plain design;
- Ideal for slow rides;
- Not too versatile;
- You might have some difficulty with steering and sliding;
Price range: This longboard falls into the medium price point category which means that it’s not too expensive.
Value for the price: This longboard is very valuable for the price because of the durable construction, stability, and moderate versatility. You can find better products on the market, but this one is very valuable for the money.
Krown Sunset City Surf Longboard Skateboard
Krown’s Sunset City Surf longboard is quite long and belongs to the Twin longboards category. The bottom of the deck is designed with a beautiful sunset cover (which is the reason for the name), while the top was taped with a black grip tape.
- Maple Construction
- 9” x 46” Pintail shape
- 71mm wheels
- 6” Aluminum trucks
- Grip tape
Our Recommendation: The beautiful design and quite decent stability are just some of the reasons why this is one of the best longboards for girls. The versatile shape makes it suitable for most riding styles, but you should avoid going downhill racing.
- Quite durable;
- Overall, decently spacious;
- Beautiful design;
- High-quality material;
- Not the most versatile of models;
Price range: This longboard belongs to the affordable price point category and is less expensive than most other (top) models.
Value for the price: A longboard that boasts quite a value for the price, you will find many uses for it, but keep in mind that it’s not the most versatile of models.
DB Urban Native Longboard Complete Red Seafoam
A drop deck longboard that is ideal for both beginners and experienced riders, DB urban is considered to be one of the boards that offer the highest versatility rating. It does not, however, excel in any particular field, but you can practice any style with it. It’s durable, fast, and it has a unique design.
- 40” length;
- Atlas Ultralight 180mm trucks;
- Cloud Ride 69mm 78a trucks;
- Black grip tape;
Our Recommendation: Ideal for girls, DB Urban is very safe to ride because it’s extremely stable and it’s not capable of high speeds. Being versatile, you can go with any riding style without fearing of injury.
- Exquisite design;
- Trademark parts of high quality;
- Already assembled but it can be customized;
- Very versatile;
- It has less overall space than other models;
- Quite pricey;
Price range: DB Urban is quite expensive, but it offers more than most models.
Value for the price: Don’t be discouraged by the cash you need for this longboard for it gives more than it takes. Extremely valuable.
Playshion Freeride Drop Through Longboard Complete
This is an extremely rare longboard, mainly because it’s very difficult to construct the type (drop trough). It boasts convenient capabilities that let you ride without getting tired, and it also features the greatest stability rating when compared to similar products.
- Drop trough type;
- 39” length;
- 180mm aluminum trucks;
- 70mm wheels;
- ABEC 9 bearings;
- Birch maple;
- OS780 grip tape;
Our Recommendation: You will find great use of this board if you freestyle or freeride, but it can be used for downhill racing as well.
- Extremely stable;
- Decent versatility;
- The least amount of effort needed to ride;
- Quite durable;
- The space for your feet is small;
Price range: Being made of high-quality materials and offering a wide array of advantages, it’s only natural that this board costs a bit more than other products, but it can still be considered as decently affordable.
Value for the price:
It’s not very expensive, but it’s not a bargain as well. Anyhow, the features you will benefit from providing it with exceptional value.
Ten Toes Board Emporium Zed Bamboo Longboard
An amazing product from a reliable brand and the number 1 on our best longboards for girls list – Ten Toes Zed Bamboo is a hybrid board with great durability. The features from which it is comprised of are one of the best on the market, and the board itself is not too expensive.
- 44” long;
- Rugged 7” aluminum trucks;
- Kingpin trucks and ABEC 7 bearings;
- Hybrid board;
- 70x51mm wheels;
Our recommendation: If you don’t mind the narrow foot space, you can use this board for virtually any riding style. It’s perfect for girls because it’s very durable and extremely stable.
- Vintage look;
- Quality features;
- Decently versatile;
- Very stable and durable;
- Narrow foot space;
Price range: Ten Toes Zed Bamboo board is extremely cost-effective because it offers attributes of high quality for a bargain price.
Value for the price: You will have a really hard time finding a better longboard for this price.